Senior Java Developer
Job ID: 4081671004
Belarus: Brest, Gomel, Grodno, Minsk, Vitebsk
Poland: Bialystok, Poznan, Szczecin, Warsaw
Russia: Chelyabinsk, Yekaterinburg
Ukraine: Kharkiv, Kiev, Lviv, Odessa, Vinnytsia
Lithuania: Klaipeda, Vilnius
We’re looking for a top-notch Senior Java Developer to join our awesome team!
Work at Exadel – Who We Are:
Since 1998, Exadel has been engineering its own software products and custom software for clients of all sizes. Headquartered in Walnut Creek, California, Exadel currently has 1000+ employees in development centers across America, Europe, and Asia. Our people drive Exadel’s success, and they are at the core of our values, so Exadel is a people-first cultured company.
About the Project:
The project is a course catalog platform that offers institutions an easy course enrollment flow with related analytics and provides a storefront for monetizing course content. The entire team is located in Hungary. Meetings are held between 10:00 and 17:00 CET.
- Back end: Java 16 (SpringBoot, Gradle, JUnit, JOOQ), Ruby (Ruby on Rails, ActiveRecord, RSpec), PostgreSQL (AWS RDS), AWS services (e.g. EC2, Redis), Docker
- Tools: Gerrit, Jenkins, Datadog, Splunk, Sentry
- IDE: VS Code and IntelliJ
At least for 12 months. The platform has been live for over 5 years already, deployed around the world in 7 regions, having many large school districts as clients. The existing and upcoming projects are about enhancing the product with new features and the Customer just started his biggest project which is the migration of the application from Ruby on Rails to Java 16 iteratively, feature by feature, going live with them one-by-one as they are releasable.
Typical Tasks for Near Months:
There are both front end, backend, and infrastructure-related tasks. You will also work on fixing bugs and supporting issue resolution for the customer’s clients. We are going to add a lot of new features to the platform in the upcoming 12-18 months.
1 Engineering Manager, 1 Product Manager (shared with another team), 9 Developers (both Ruby and Java devs) – currently 5 Senior Developers and 1 Junior Developer, 1 Intern, 1 SET (software engineer in test – he is helping to build and maintain testing frameworks and ensure the testing mindset inside the team), and 1 Designer (shared with other teams).
- Great client community and a lot of feedback from the Customer’s clients
- Working with the newest technologies (Java 16, Kubernetes, AWS services)
- Kanban – no artificial deadlines, continuous delivery (deploy every week)
- Open for innovative solutions, new ways of doing things (incl. hackweeks, hackdays)
- Working with Kanban with great success (switched from Scrum more than a year ago)
Processes on the Project:
The team is working in an Agile environment based on Kanban. The usual Agile ceremonies are held (daily standups, grooming sessions, retrospectives) with appropriate action plans/follow ups. As the team does most of the DevOps related work, the customer has processes in place to help, like on-call support (with primary and secondary people), service review meetings every three weeks, incident resolution, and reports with action plans and infrastructure monitoring.
The development lifecycle is supported by engineering grooming sessions, architecture/planning meetings, mandatory code reviews for each patchset, product reviews, test automation on every level (unit, integration, ui, e2e, incl. CI), quality reviews done by the developers themselves with the guidance of a SET (software engineer in test), advanced documentation artifacts (ADRs, detailed patchset descriptions and Jira acceptance criteria, meeting minutes, feature documents), and Jira for ticket management and work distribution.
What do Engineers Like about the Project?
Engineers are involved in the discovery and design phases of each project. Client feedback is also shared with them and they have the chance to talk to customers directly. It’s not an expectation, just an opportunity.
The core team has been together for almost two years. The customer built up processes and daily routines to have a great developer experience and work in a friendly and helpful work environment. There’s no blaming culture; the team has an outward mindset and a good relationship with other teams. The team members are proactive, client-focused, and supportive.
- Extensive Java experience (3+ years)
- Spring Boot, AWS knowledge is a must
- Open minded, friendly, ready for new challenges with a strong focus on collaboration
- Always ready to help, educate and mentor other team members
- Committed to the successful delivery of business objectives
- Proactive, suggesting and driving your solutions forward
- Passionate about learning new tools and techniques
- Migrate existing functionality to new Java (1.16) back end from Ruby
- Add new features to the Java portion, sometimes with front end (React) impact
- Contribute in all phases of the development lifecycle
- Ensure designs are in compliance with specifications
- Attend meetings
Advantages of Working with Exadel:
- You can build your expertise with our Sales Support team, who provide assistance with existing and potential projects
- You can join any Exadel Community or create your own to communicate with like-minded colleagues
- You can participate in continuing education as a mentor or speaker
- You can take part in internal and external meetups as a speaker or listener. We support you in broadening your horizons and encourage knowledge sharing for all of our employees
- You can learn English with the support of native speakers
- You can take part in cultural, sporting, charity, and entertainment events
- Working at Exadel means always upgrading your skills and proficiency, so we provide plenty of opportunities for professional development. If you’re looking for a challenge that will lead you to the next level of your career, you’ve found the right place
- We work hard to ensure honest and open relations between employees and leadership, so our offices are friendly environment
Why should you work with us?
As a successful, high-growth company, we know that our employees are critical to our success. This is why we encourage ingenuity, creativity and teamwork as important elements to the growth of our business. We believe that career growth and business growth go hand in hand.